Friday, April 11, 2008

What I Also Did for Love - Part 3


It's been about 6 weeks since I started on Weight Watchers and I'm down a respectable 10.6 pounds - averaging about 1.75 pounds per week - a healthy weight loss but nothing radical. The 'points' system is somewhat confining in that you have to keep track of EVERYTHING that goes into the cakehole, yet it's flexible as you receive 35 extra 'points' per week to do with whatever you want - pizza, tacos, beer, scorpion on a stick - whatever. My biggest downfall is bread - last week when I went into the bakery on a visit to Old Salem, I bought a loaf of sweet bread and it took the utmost restraint I could muster up NOT to bury my face in it and inhale those precious carbs. The entire loaf made it on the flight home and I proudly presented it to Be - a testimony to endurance and discipline. It actually lasted about 4 days before being consumed.
Now ..... the continuing saga of the Weight Watchers meetings. Interesting affairs, these gatherings ..... I have yet to offer any testimonies or weight loss tricks during "Who's Celebrating?" time - it's just a wee bit out of my comfort zone - so I listen to the ladies as they extol the virtues of the program (I'm thinking ..... I'm paying 10 dang bucks a week! This dang program better dang work! ) ..... and it is, I just don't think they need to hear about it as the instructor covers that aspect of the program quite eloquently. I listened as one lady bemoaned the fact that she pigged out one night and ate an extra serving of grapes .... (I'm thinking ....... Grapes! What a dang pig! Shoot her and put her on a dang spit! She ate extra grapes!!! ) .... she HAD to be WAY into the program! Then the instructor did a little drama about snacking at work using a Barbie doll - (I'm thinking ....... How close is the dang exit? I'm paying 10 dang bucks for a puppet show with slut dolly?) The rest of the meeting (all 10 minutes of it) consisted of useful info on eating at home, parties, restaurants & in the car - and was quite a useful chapter in the book of weight loss.
The meetings are constructive in that they hold you accountable for your progress as you are weighed in before each meeting - and you'd better go to meetings as you still pay the 10 bucks. The program is solid and the online tools help keep you focused - there's even a section for men on the site! The Nazi ladies are commonplace now - no worse than a waiter who has too many tables or an airline check-in rep. The meetings are no longer emasculating now that I show progress toward my goal and I'm seeing results ....... but I'm readying myself for "plateau" time.
Next report at -15 pounds .......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you mention slut dolly, is this what you had in mind?
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2408480320082582116JJRaqk

Paula said...

Hey Don,
I just love your weight watchers posts. They crack me up. I love the part about the lady that ate extra grapes. I give you credit with the bread, that sucker would have been wolfed down way before I got on the plane if that were me. Your doing good.
Not sure about that comment above mine. I was not about to click on it not sure what I may be in for.
Maybe, they are not practicing responsible commenting :)

Gail said...

First congrats on the weight loss!
That's a bag of potatoes!
Good Job!

Just an FYI.. I think you may get one of "those" dolls in China.
Not sure if they are still doing it. But Mattel was giving a barbie holding an Asian baby as a gift.
It's in your hotel room waiting for you at the White Swan!

Roy and Lori said...

Just stopped by to say hello!
I hope you guys are having a
great weekend!

Take care!

Kids Special Needs said...

Part three? geez, I missed the first two parts. Wish I would have seen them, seeing as your rendition of describing the meetings is hilarious!!!!!!!!