Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Deja Vu


From 1984-1986, before my so-called 'career' at US Airways, I sang with an acapella group at EPCOT called Voices of Liberty. That's me, back row, 3rd from the right - yep - that's really Tricky Dicky in the middle, not a cardboard cutout. The group had some incredible Christmas arrangements which brought a dimension to vocal music like I have not experienced since. I LOVED singing the holiday music. So, now - I'm retired - and, on a lark, I'm auditioning as a 'sub' (for the Christmas season) on Aug 17 so I'll have a chance to sing those arrangements again. In preparation, I've hired a vocal coach to whip me into shape in a short period of time, and even if I don't get called to perform the arrangements, I will have stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something that I've not done, on that level, for over 20 years. Wish me luck ......

"Vanity of vanities; all is vanity"
These words from Ecclesiastes 1:2 came to mind when I had to get a "head shot" for this audition.
Our friend, Jo-Ann, came by and snapped away and I chose this one for the 'jury' at Disney.
With the help of Photoshop 101, wrinkles and barnacles are removed and hopefully they
won't point me to the Social Security line.
See more of JoAnn's photography of our church's Easter Sunrise Service @


......and so, we skip merrily down the pathway of adoption ......


6 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow! What a great photo and awesome costumes! I'm sure that you'll have a great time getting together with your old friends and singing!! We can't wait to see those pics!

~Dawn

glo said...

Ahhh Hahhh Way too much fun. I used to sing with a lady's barbershop quartet. Loved it. I definitely wish you luck. let us know how it works out for you!!!

Alyson and Ford said...

Now that is exciting! I too proud of you on this one... What a blast! As you would say - that jazzed me!!! Bravo.

Unknown said...

Awesome! THanks for sharing that picture with us..GOod luck and have a great time!

Unknown said...

Good luck on the 17th! You'll be great.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Don-

Barnacles?! WHAT barnacles? I saw you a little over a week ago and you look the same as this photo...awesome! We are all praying for your audition. And, excited, too! Godspeed and 'break a leg'. (Oops - is it okay to leave both of those sentiments in one sentence?)You will be wonderful. Disney should be so lucky as to get you!

Love ya...
Your sis,
Maryann