Friday, August 17, 2007

"The Cattle Call" - I Made the First Cut

Well, I survived the first cut at the Disney auditions today - I'm jazzed. The audition was in a "cattle call" format, where the show producers advertise for vocalists and briefly describe what they're looking for. Based on their information, I chose 3 songs - "Oklahoma" (a lighter tune which shows off the upper register), "Ol' Man River" (which showcases the lower end) and an obscure piece by Alan & Marilyn Bergman called "I'll Never Say Goodbye" (which was my 'wild card' and displayed a less showy attitude.)
At the beginning of the cattle call, the guy in charge came out and addressed the 200+ singers (I was number 67) telling us that the need was for singers who could blend - so, since it appeared that I didn't need to "pull out the stops" and wow them, I chose my wild card. It paid off as I was called back for the next cut on Monday.
I have wanted to sing this Christmas music again for the last 20+ years and on Monday, after singing an old Rogers & Hart song "Without A Song" (selected by the panel) they will work with the remaining singers who survive Cut #2 as a group focusing on the group's blend. By the end of the day, the panel will make their decisions.
So, I'll be working the weekend on getting everything in order for Monday's call back. Keep your fingers crosssed for me, blogsters, and lift up a prayer or 2, please. I'll keep you posted. If I get the gig, it will be a great diversion for 3 months during this painful wait for Joanna Mei.
Your Humble Blogman,
Don

..........and so, we merrily skip down the adoption pathway.......

9 comments:

4D said...

Good stuff! How exciting. Wishing you lots of luck and smooth singing.

Keep smilin!

Unknown said...

That is great! Fingers crossed and prayers bing sent your way.

Catherine said...

Hey Don, I'll be praying for sure! What fun that would be! I'm a HUGE Disney fan and for the past 2 years took my niece there in early December. We loved it! Saw the 'Candelight Processional' for the first time last year. Breathtaking!!! I teared up more than once. It was extra special because Steven Curtis Chapman was the narrator the night we were there.

Praying the audition goes well on Monday! Keep us posted.

Blessings, Catherine

Mom 2 six said...

Cool !!
Fingers crossed here.

jeanette said...

wow! that's pretty cool!

glo said...

Yeah Rah!!!!! Good for you. OK what are you doing reading the bLOg, go back in there, do a little warm up now that you have loafed, and Sing!!!!

Renee said...

Finger Cross and prayers going up......

Unknown said...

This is awesome..We will be praying.!!!

Sam said...

Very cool! Break a leg!!! I really hope you get it!