Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A Reading from the Book of Anonymous

Well, the Adoptionistas are out there. Several weeks ago, I received the following comment on "Pregnancy By Adoption". At first (being someone who appreciates sarcasm) I thought the author was being sarcastic. After discussing it with my wife, we came to the conclusion that the author of this diminutive magnum opus was seriously misguided - in the area of adoption needs as well as use of scripture. Hopefully, he/she is not the pastor of a church. After a week or two in the drafts file, I came to feel sorry for the person who came upon my blog and left the following .......

Perhaps you forget the 10 Commandments?

"Thou Shalt Not Covet anything that belongs to thy neighbor"(that includes WANTING other people's children as your own)

It was by faith that Moses, when he grew up, refused to be called son of the pharaoh's daughter.


Now, I'm no Bible scholar but there are a few things from catechism class and Bible history that have stuck. So, I'm going to try addressing the 2 items .....

As far as 'covetousness' goes - the term refers to a strong desire of worldly things. It assumes sometimes the more aggravated form of avarice, which is the mark of cold-hearted worldliness. Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary (I will run with Easton's since I could not find a source by the author 'Anonymous' - oops, was that sarcasm???) Well, by definition, a child is not a 'worldly thing.' And we're talking 'adoption' here, not lust. No further commentary needed.

Am I guilty of cold-hearted worldliness? I think not. Neither are the 10s of thousands of prospective adoptive parents out there.

Now for the 'Moses' item - Before Moses was born, the Israelites were living in slavery in Egypt. The Pharaoh was afraid of the numbers and might of the growing Israelites during this time, so he had them put under extreme bondage and slavery from rebelling against him. It got so bad at one time, that the Pharaoh had put out an order to have all of the male children killed that were being born by the Israelites.
It was during this time that Moses was born. His mother was a "Hebrew," which is another name for Israelite. When Moses was first born, his mother hid him for 3 months so he would not be found and killed by the Pharaoh.
After 3 months, his mother then placed him in an ark made out of sticks and then placed him down by the reeds along the river banks hoping someone else would find him and raise him up safely. It just so happened that the daughter of the Pharaoh was the one to find him down by the river as she was getting ready to wash herself in the river. He lived in the house of pharoah until ........

'he grew up' and escaped being a slave with the rest of the Israelites being held in captivity in Egypt. He then lives in the desert for 40 years until God calls him out to deliver His people from their slavery and bondage to the Egyptians.

OK 'Anonymous' - your point? I think I get your drift - are you saying that I'm adopting for the purpose of holding my child in slavery? (oops - sarcasm again - my apologies). Seriously though, when Joanna Mei 'grows up' she can leave and go save the nation if she wants to. I would prefer to see Proverbs 22:6 displayed in her life ..... Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Jesus, in John 8:35, instructs Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. My translation is obviously not gender inclusive.

So, there it is Anonymous. I am truly sorry for you. I'm not being sarcastic here. You seem to point the finger without knowledge of the hearts and minds of those of us awaiting our precious children. Whatever it is that you cling to, talk to someone about it. You appear mad and/or hurt. Do yourself a favor and seek the help of someone who will pray with you.

My blog will no longer allow anonymous comments as a reader may get to comments such as these before I do ...... and when Joanna Mei is revealed to us, this blog will close - access will be available only to those whom we invite or to responsible comment authors.

9 comments:

glo said...

Oh My Hugs to you...all of you in that waiting room. I chose to not allow anonymous posts back a while ago myself. You just never know. Somehow I know we are gonna celebrate new love and life come into some very special homes and families in the New year. Don and Be I think you both know yours is one of those homes I so want to see filled and very very soon.

4D said...

I am sorry you had to face the stupidity and idiocy of Anon. Sad when things are twisted to suit a persons warped minds.

Keep smilin!

Gail said...

Wow and Bravo! I applaud you!
Some people are SO ignorant!
And you will meet more after the adoption!! I have a few stories. : (
I do not allow anonymous comments on my blog.
I had a "sick" comment posted when I first started my blog and that was enough for me.
Thank God "these people" are far and few between.

RamblingMother said...

What did I miss? Anon showed up here too? Boy that guy/girl/it gets around doesn't it/she/he?

beverly

Paula said...

James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
That verse says it all.
I'm sorry you two got "Hit" as I call it. I was "Hit" and this is why my blog is private.

Esther said...

Yes Don, "velvet smooth" response ;o)

Thank you for emailing, and giving me a heads up about this topic. I did see your original post, as I posted there in the comments too. However, I posted BEFORE the anonymous person, so I missed what that idiot said.

Again, you are velvet smooth ;o) And when you have Joanna Mei, you better still let me come on over here to rejoice with you and your family~!!!!!! (uh, or not. your choice....Hope I'm included).

Hugs, Esther

Dannye said...

...and so, we merrily skip down the pathway of adoption ...

and we skip along side you....

people are just ignorant...

Unknown said...

And what about James 1:27? -
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

I think adopting is putting yourself at God's disposal so He can love someone through you and give them the home He wants them to have. He's really big on protecting the "fatherless" (aka - orphan). God specifically designed laws and gave several instructions to take care of them. Here's just one: Isaiah 1:17-"learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow."

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Some people can be so daft...