Friday, December 28, 2007

A Moment in Time


Diva with Don & Cousin Ellen @ Shadow Bay Park

Shadow Bay Park, about a mile from our home, is a preserve/sports complex which maintains the genuine character of the wild Florida landscape. Live oaks and pines, various birds, snakes, tortoises and assorted other critters inhabit the 2 square mile park (as well as tennis & basketball courts and a baseball field) - 2 types of trails, paved and primitive wind through, my choice being the primitive as I can walk Diva off-leash and not freak anyone out.

Miss Dog and myself take to the trails daily and while treking through a particularly pristine area of the park, we came upon a group of about 30 or so butterflies which stopped us in our tracks. It was one of those 'moments in time' when you tune out all of the peripheral sights and noises and stand in wonder at the sight before you. I take my camera on these hour long excursions, just in case I come upon a scene such as this. One of these days, we'll share these times with Joanna Mei. A short video follows this post below ......

So I Googled 'Florida Butterflies' and found out this much about the species Zebra Heliconian that I observed:

Males patrol for females, and are also attracted to female chrysalids (cocoons). A male will wait on the cocoon and mate with the female as she is about to emerge. He then deposits on her abdomen a chemical that repels other males. Eggs are laid in groups of 5-15 on leaf buds or leaves of the host plant; caterpillars feed at night on leaves. Adults roost communally in groups of 25-30 individuals. (By the time I got the camera out, many had begun roosting.)


5 comments:

Dannye said...

they are so beautiful...so funny, people up north are complaining about the snow and cold, and here you are videoing butterflies in December...our weather is so odd...

and what great facts about butterflies....men butterflies are so patient...hehe

Paula said...

I loved the video of the butterflies. Like Dannye said, I am surrounded by snow and no signs of life except the occasional squirrel coming out of its burrow, so it was refreshing to see the butterflies and renews my hope for spring!

Alyson and Ford said...

Wow, so beautiful!!

Alyson
LID 01/27/06

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Have a wonderful 2008 - stay happy and safe and speedy referrals for everyone... take care...

Unknown said...

Never heard of it and I lived in Florida