Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"So ... How's It Going With the Adoption?"


How often I hear "What's happening with the China doll?" from well intentioned acquaintances or co-workers. I can see it coming - forehead crinkled, wide eyes, big smile. When I respond "Still waiting." Of course the follow-up question (with total change of expression) is "Why is it taking so long?" Of course, they mean it as innocent conversation and I realize that.

There's no good way to explain that the extended wait is a painful item in the adoption process. Each time I have to explain it, I am brought down lower. Joanna was expected in our household last year according to the standard procedure in place at the time that we initiated the process. What was a 9 month wait at log-in is now an 18 month wait .... words escape me as I have to explain the process and I usually respond "God had the time of Joanna's arrival planned long before China knew that we wanted to adopt. We're just trying to stay on His time schedule." That can close the discussion, even if I'm speaking to an athiest. The soverignty of God in the whole scheme of things gives me peace. I lifts me from whatever funk in which I put myself and gives me focus.


I have printed out some business sized cards with our blog information. I keep a supply with me at all times and when someone pops the question, I follow up my mini-homily with "We have a blog with our entire story. Take a look at it and thank you for your interest. The blog tells you a lot more than I can now." I hand them a card and I've given them quite a bit of information without getting too technical about the process.


I am reminded that God has this eternity thing which doesn't necessarily mesh with my own self imposed calendar of events. I actually listened to what He was telling me this morning and He reminded me that He gives us patience for these times .... and people who care enough to inquire "So .... How's it going with the adoption?"

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I use business type cards too and find them to be so helpful. Some people still want a brief update on the spot while others are happy to follow along online. I'm guessing I've given out over 200 of these cards in the past couple of years. Not sure how many people use them but I think quite a few do as every so often someone will mention, 'I saw ____ on your blog.' It's a fun way to have people follow along and more importantly a great way for them to be able to pray specifically for the adoption.

God's timing is always perfect...and I'm so happy you and I know that during this longer than anticipated wait.

Blessings

Esther said...

Hey I like your blog! I am a professional adoption waiter too! We started our adoption in 1/05. Long story. Hang in there ;o)
Best wishes, Esther

Pat said...

Don and Be, it occurred to me that you're waiting because YOUR baby girl--the special one God has just for YOU--hadn't been born yet!

Love,

Pat

Dannye said...

Don, that really is a great idea...wish I would'da thought of it...may "steal" the idea....

JohnBenjamin said...

It's a good work...........
This blog design are very beautiful.