Friday, March 30, 2007

Brownie at the Door ( ... not the kind that sells Girl Scout Cookies) & The Wisdom of Dogs


Last Saturday ... 8 AM ... all is calm, all is bright ... I've just had a fine night's sleep (not too many of those with the ribs mending) and was relishing the still of the morning ... enter Diva - piercing the silence. She was barking up a stink about something so it looked like sleeping in 'til 9 was not going to work this day. I rolled my sorry self out of bed and lummoxed down the stairs, opened the front door to find Brownie, a doberman from the neighborhood, sitting there with what looked like a satallite dish around his neck. I closed my eyes and tried to process the vision. OK - it's a just 'no bite' collar - make yourself some strong coffee and let Brownie in. Upon closer inspection (after I got my glasses) it was revealed that Brownie also had a muzzle around his snout. Be came downstairs to the sight of our morning visitor running around and smashing his collar into whatever was in his way and whining as best as he could through his muzzle. I put on the coffee. Gotta be Starbucks. We took off the 2 pieces of 'traction' and he immediately began helping himself to Diva's food and water. He was not a particularly neat diner and it actually looked like he was having his own personal food fight.
Some Brownie background before we continue - Brownie's owners are at their wit's end as they have tried everything to keep him from biting his foot. They have to leave him alone a good deal of the time and he has developed this behavior out of boredom, thus the collar and muzzle. His foot is bandaged and since last week, the healing has improved and his limp is less severe. Brownie is a great dog and was just starving for attention.
I said in a commanding voice (which scared me) "Brownie! Come!" He responded without missing a beat and jumped up on his hind legs, put his front paws on my shoulders (I'm 6') and looked me in the eyes as if to say "Talk to me!" He followed me over to the couch and I took his head in my hands and just told him "Good boy! What a handsome doggie! Good Brownie!" He started settling down as I continued to rub his head and stroke his shiny coat. Before long, he was laying on the floor, asleep at my feet. Diva came over and laid down next to him. She wanted in on the act.
OK - it could get a bit weird here. You've got to understand - we're "First Time Prospective Parents with AARP Memberships" - I said to Be "Hey Be. Could these dogs be teaching us a lesson? I mean - we've never paid attention to Brownie because he always behaved like John Belushi in "Animal House" but look at him now - all we did was listen to him! There's one happy doggie! "
(2 actually - we had treated Brownie like we treated Diva)
It sparked a discussion on "Listening to Your Children". As prospective parents who are rapidly approaching "The Golden Years" we reflected on friends in our life's journey who avoided or did not have time to listen to their kids. We've observed parent's/children's behaviors over the last 25 years of our marriage and have stored up a vault of memories with the help of those around us. We have witnessed their parenting behaviors and the outcome. Hopefully, as we approach the next crossroads in our lives, we'll use those memories and, just as we should be listening to God .... do the right thing.
So, thanks, Brownie & Diva, for your input on our continuing story ..... and Brownie, stop by anytime......

2 comments:

Dannye said...

What a sweet dog Brownie looks like, did his "parents" know he was out?? and please tell me he's not an outside dog with a cone collar thingy and a muzzle, just not cool in my eyes...our Freckles "chews" his feet too, and we pay loads of attention to him, the vet told us it's just a bad habit he has, kinda the equivilent to someone chewing their fingernails, we do have to watch him though cuz he could get a yeast infection between his toes if they stay moist all the time and that would cause him to chew more...just something to think about....

Dawn said...

What a wonderful story!!! The photo of Brownie and Diva Dog is absolutely priceless!! :)

Poor Brownie... all he wanted was some attention!! Hopefully Brownie's parents will allow him to visit Miss Diva more often. I bet his paw would be on the mend in no time.

Guinness is lucky because his Mama and Baba work opposite hours, so he's never alone. He also has zero separation anxiety, so when we go to the movies or out to eat, there's nothing out-of-place (or any accidents) when we arrive home. (Just a happy pup who KNOWS that there's something yummy in a doggie bag, waiting for him!!)

~Dawn