Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Adoption? ... Why NOW? .....


Every so often, I move our adoption story to the front of the blog for those who may be first timers ...... this was originally posted in Sept, 2005 when we first started our blog.......

Don here............

For the past 20 years, Be and I have had the world at our disposal with my airline job. We've climbed the volcanos and did the scuba thing in some pretty exotic locales. We essentially had our retirement early on in life. We are both fortunate for this luxury when we 'had it in us' to enjoy the benefits............
I remember the day about 6 years ago ..... Be and I were standing on the pier at Daytona Beach and as we looked out over the ocean, we turned to each other and began to reflect on all we had done and what the future could possibly hold for us. We were thankful to God for His remarkable goodness to us, but the element of children had not been in the mix. The topic of adoption came up, but it was left for discussion and prayer in the future. Then it hit .............

My mom died in December 2000 leaving behind my dad who never had to function independently (he relied on mom for EVERYTHING). During mom's long illness (congestive heart failure) prior to her 'graduation' to be with God, there were many flights up and down the east coast (thank the Lord for free flight benefits) to attend to her needs and to be with her just in case God called her home. After her passing, (Be and I were both with her as she walked into eternity) there were the flights up and down the east coast to ensure that dad was OK. In May of 2003, dad came to live with us, occupying the spare room on our first floor. He had trouble walking (I tell him that he has an allergy to gravity - he doesn't find it as funny as I do) since 1995 (even though he continued to drive -oy!) and as he continued to deteriorate, it was obvious he could not be left alone while Be and I were at work. ........... During his residence with us, Be's cancer was diagnosed and the mastectomy with subsequent surgeries and reconstruction left even less time for dad. He moved into Madison House Assisted Living Center about 1 mile from our house. What a gift! We can walk the dog over there to visit and we have no worries about his care.*** In addition, Be is cancer free and our lives began to resemble something normal....... cut to March, 2005 ...........

We are on the road to Lakeland, FL (about 60 miles from Orlando) ........ we are in bumper-to-bumper traffic due to construction (it looks like the road to Baghdad Airport) .... fortunately, it's late March and the weather allowed us to roll down the windows and enjoy a cool evening for a change..... we have been basking in our freedom from the worries of the past several years ....... I'm 30 pounds fatter and Be looks like a million bucks ...... she's driving as I read to her from Max Lucado's "Come Thirsty" ..... he refers to Ephesians 1:4-5 ..... "Before the world was made, He chose us, chose us in Christ, that we should become His adopted sons and daughters through Jesus Christ......." .... the scene on the Daytona Beach pier flashed on my mind's monitor ...... I shot a look at Be ....... I think it hit her at the same time ........ and we drove and read on. We were in high gear for the Steven Curtis Chapman concert in Lakeland. We even left early to to allow for the traffic that had now come to a complete stop ("free parking on I-4") ..... but, we began to move and arrived in Lakeland about 2 hours before concert time. We sat back and had a great steak dinner (OK - Be had salad - I had steak) and parked our car in a remote area so we could escape the glut of traffic leaving the venue at the end of the event. "Casting Crowns" opened the show followed by Chris Tomlin and ending with SCC. Toward the end of the evening, SCC offered a rather lengthy video presention on adoption. It hit me. It hit Be. We were no sooner out of our seats (conviction by Lucado, Paul -of Ephesians fame- and Chapman in about a 3 hour time span) than were talking about how to begin the adoption process........ that weekend, we began the internet search on agencies......the following week, one of our best friends asked "Hey! Have y'all ever thought about adoption?" ........ "Well, as a matter of fact" .......... we decided on Bethany Christian Services (65 years experience with placing kids) and we are now in month 7** of the process. We liked their philosophy, initial presentation, encounters with the staff and overall environment of the organization.

More ramblings/reflections/prayer needs/updates/parsley/sage/rosemary/thyme as the process continues ........ Thank you for making it to the end ......... God Bless ......... Don
** now, month 34 from our initial contact with Bethany, almost 23 months from LID.
*** dad passed away in July of 2007 - he was instrumental in financing part of our adoption and we wish he could have seen his new grand daughter.

19 comments:

Mom 2 six said...

What a great story !
Congrats to you both for taking the plunge and hopping on the crazy adoption train back then. We are so blessed to have our Mia-Faith.

Catherine said...

I love reading how God placed adoption in people's hearts! Thank you for sharing this with us.

What exciting stories we'll have to tell our little ones some day of God's leading and faithfulness in creating our families!

glo said...

You do write so very very well. I love the synopsis of how this has all come about for the "3" of you. Still praying and waiting right along side of you.

D said...

What a great story...I've added you to my bloglines!

Dawn said...

What a wonderful story!!

~Dawn

Unknown said...

IM glad I stopped by. SCC had a huge influence on our decision as well.,The Holy Spirit has planted a seed years ago and its neat to see how its grown..

SO glad I blogrolled ya

jeanette said...

What a cool story! Thanks for re-posting it.

4D said...

What an amazing story! I so happy to have found you. Thanks for stopping by. Stay in touch.

Keep smilin!

Esther said...

I love your post!!!!

And yes Don, your wife looks like a million bucks. However, you both look great ;o) You make a lovely couple.

Best wishes, Esther

Alyson and Ford said...

So glad we "found" you and will share both our new daughters' journey together. Looking forward to our next visit.

Alyson
LID 01/27/06

Shannon said...

What a beautiful beginning to your adoption. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm looking forward to following your blog.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Doug said...

Congratulations on your exciting journey, Don and Be.

We enjoyed the process so much the first time that we're doing it again. :-)

http://www.hendersonhomeonline.com

Roy and Lori said...

I loved reading your story! It was
just awesome . Best of luck to
you guys!

Roy and Lori said...

Hey guys!
Just stopped by to say hi!
I hope you are having a
great week!

Paula said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I love SCC and casting crowns. I used to work for the airlines (flight attendant), the free travel is nice, but after a while, when I had some time off, the last thing I wanted to do was step on an airplane. My husband and I were also semi-retired for several years and relized that that God had a more useful purpose for us. To give your time to a child, there is nothing better! I can't wait to see you guys travel to China.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

What a wonderful story!!!

jeanette said...

I always love hearing -and re-hearing -everyone's adoption stories.

Jeff and Valerie said...

I enjoyed this post very much. I love to hear how adoption entered people's minds.