Friday, May 02, 2008

Yesterday was a rather difficult day .....

......... as we had to put our cat, Skitt, to sleep. Over the last month, it became obvious that she was losing weight and behaving unlike she would normally. She began to sound weak and so it was time to take her to our vet and at least find out what was going on. It turned out that she had a large mass in her stomach, most probably cancer, which was likely causing an obstruction. We opted not to do all the heroics with surgery & chemo, and bring her home until it was evident that she was in discomfort, which a month ago was not the case.

Well, it was apparent that she was deteriorating quickly and yesterday was her final day.


We found Skitt in the fall of 2004, living in the storm pipes at houses in our neighborhood. She would have nothing to do with us when we approached her to try and offer food. After several months, we began to leave cat food in one of the pipes which runs under our driveway, so she adopted it as her home. As winter approached (yes, January of 2005 was quite cold here in Orlando), we did not want her to remain in her present environment, so we began leaving the food on our porch. She took the bait. As the temps dropped to the low 40s at night, we put a heating pad in a box with a blanket in the screened area, left food outside the box and cracked the door just enough so she dould get through. She took the bait again.

As spring came along, she began investigating the interior of our house when the weather permitted and we had the doors open. Soon, she was comfortable in her new digs and began eating in the kitchen - but STILL would not let us get near her. One evening, she exhibited some unusual behavior - she jumped up on the couch next to me and began purring. For the first time, we were able to see her charcoal fur with the beautiful silver undercoat, and we also discovered something startling - she had no front claws - she had been foraging for food, eating whatever she could without the benefit of her claws!

We later found out that a woman with 6 cats abandoned them when she moved out of the neighborhood. Nice gal!

We brought her to Diva's vet who estimated her age at 6 years and classified her as a "Domestic Longhair". But whenever asked "What kind of cat is she?" I responded with "A rare Italian breed called Tatiana Napoli." No one really knew the difference and it elevated her breed considerably.

She continued to be a very skittish cat (thus the name Skitt), running out of the room whenever we came in (I began to call her Skitt-zophrenic) and hiding out under the bed until it was time to eat or she needed some petting and stroking - on her terms. She was a comfort to Be, along with Diva, while she recovered from cancer surgery and when I retired last year, we began to develop a fondness for each other as I was at home quite a bit.


So, last month, when we realized that she was not going to improve after the vet visit, we had hoped that she would pass on her own, but unfortunately, that would not be the case. She'll be missed here at Chez Schaf.



Sorry if this post is a downer, but heck, blogging about it is theraputic.

A blogster friend once told me "Life isn't fluff. It's just life."

13 comments:

Gail said...

I am so very sorry.
I understand the love we have for our fur babies and the heartache when we lose them.
I am so happy she found love and comfort in her sweet life with you.
She was beautiful.
Please feel my ((hugs))

Unknown said...

Don & Be,
So Sorry for your lost.
Donna

Catherine said...

So sorry. Praying for you.

Roy and Lori said...

So sorry !!! We are praying
for the two of you. She
was so pretty!

Take Care!

glo said...

Awwww Well I am so glad Skit found you and you foudn her. she got something very special added to her life and I kind of think you got something very special too. Hugs from me to both of you. I do totally understand.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I am sorry to hear that... before moving over to the US I had to put my 'giant' Ginger cat Garfield to sleep as he had bad Arthritis in his legs... he would meow with pain... he was 18 and he was my baby... I had rescued him when he wasn't quiet a kitten and not quiet a cat... we got him from the pound... he was basically the best friend I had and was always there through many a bad time (and happy)... after he died... my mum and I were standing in the kitchen (I could talk to him through purring - yep, you read right and I knew what he wanted when he would meow to me) and there was NO noise outside and my mum and I heard him meow to us (though he had been gone about a week) and it came from the front door when he would sit there looking at us and would meow to say hello... inane story but I like to believe he came back to say that last hello.. I know how you are feeling so hugs to you both...

Renee said...

So Sorry for your Lost. My prayers are with your family.

AmyO said...

So sorry about your kitty. They're like our babies. Take care :)

Paula said...

I'm sorry too. I know all too well how heartbreaking it is to put a pet down. We had a border collie that was our little baby and he had stomach cancer too. It just about ripped our hearts out to put him down.

Dawn said...

Don & Be,

We are so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Skitt. I know personally that the loss of a fur baby can be extremely difficult.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we're sending HUGS and Guinness Smooches your way!!

~Dawn

April said...

I am so sorry for your loss and that I'm so late in saying anything.
Big Hug.

4D said...

My deepest sympathies...

Hugs...

Alyson and Ford said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. You took care of her and loved her.

Alyson LID 01/27/06