Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo Boo?



Living so close to the Magic Kingdom, The Empress and myself get to visit often (annual passes - big Disney bucks) and love the place. She gets a ride or two and I get some exercise pushing the royal stroller. This happens just as the parks open as crowds increase over the course of 2 hours - then, it's back home for a nap and lunch.
Many times, we observe young girls, around 5ish, decked out in princess costumes (made of the finest 100% polyester) accompanied by tierras, scepters, big hair and rather garish makeup. Turns out, these lovely little girls have been to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.
One morning, after a visit to the MK, I stumbled across a reference to the attraction in an adoption blog. Here is one person's description of the pamper parlor ....... At the Bibbidi Bobbibi Boutique, Disney takes dress-up to a new level, giving each girl her own station in the salon and her very own “Fairy Godmother-in-training” whose job is to pamper her with every accessory and service a Princess could possibly want. Parents can choose from three packages at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique: the “Coach Package” which includes a hair style and shimmering make-up (for $35), the “Crown Package” which includes hair style, shimmering make-up and nails (for $45), or the ultimate “Castle Package” which includes the Crown Package plus a Princess photo shoot and a complete Disney Princess costume of her choice with accessories (starting at $175). After her makeover, each girl is given a pink sash that says “Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique” — so everyone who sees her knows that she’s an official Disney Princess.

For some folks, the money is a drop in the bucket (not for this HomeDaddy), however, beyond the big bucks, is this giving the girls a false sense of value? I mean, $200.00 for a temporary fantasy? Maybe I'm making too much of it. After all, aren't we adults entitled to $200.00 fantasies on another level? Shouldn't we get our little girls ready to grow into bigger fantasies? Am I stirring the pot here?

Here is Disney's Web blurb on the Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique, as well as another blogger who comes close to my feelings on the Baby Spa.

Don't get me wrong ...... we LOVE the Disney parks. I'm just a bit unsettled on this one. Next month's topic .......
"Children's Beauty Pageants".









3 comments:

Kristy said...

Your not stirring the pot up here, I think that is just ridiculous!!!! And trust me I love the Princesses and MK(Iwant to live there) but where do you draw the line????

Alyson and Ford said...

This is too much!! No way shall we ever step foot in that place! Thanks for the Disney update!

Alyzabeth's Mommy of Eleven Weeks!

M,R,J1,J2 said...

Hi, it's been a while since I visited, sorry! We're still alive and kickin'! When I saw the "Bibbidi Bobbibi" price list I almost fainted! The castle package starts at $175.! Wow! Are they insane? Sorry, but for $175. I'm the one who's getting the "Castle Package" treatment!
Every time I see a little girl all "Bibbidi Bobbibi", I wonder how you'd get all that sparkle and glimmer out, especially out of the car upholstry (after the girl falls asleep on the way home).