Sunday, October 19, 2008

What Province?


We lived on the south end of Runway 3-west at Newark Airport - well, not exactly ON the runway, but close enough that if you were seeing someone off and said "I'll wave to you when you're on the plane" it meant "I'll be waving from my bedroom window." If you wanted to get to my hometown of Elizabeth, NJ from the New Jersey Turnpike, you would take Exit 13, go past the oil refineries, warehouses and railroad yards to the north end. If you make it to the Budweiser Brewery surrounded by 3 cemeteries, you've gone too far - back up about 3 blocks and you're in my 'hood'. It was a rough area and I'm proud to say that I survived 17 years at Elizabeth's North End with no visible scars - except 2 which were inflicted by Benedictine nuns - but that's a post unto itself. When fellow Jerseyites would be introduced the conversation would go something like "Hey! You're from Jersey? What exit?" "13" "Eeww!"
Disney World is just a hop skip and a jump from our home in Orlando. We love to schlep ourselves over to the Boardwalk Hotel area and wheel JoannaMei around in her stroller on the boardwalk which is reminiscent of some of the grand old towns along the Jersey shore. As we strolled this evening, I noticed a pasty white couple with a beautiful little Asian girl. I have found it awkward to strike up a conversation about adoption with a complete stranger as some people can be ssoo sensitive about the topic. But tonight, I had a flashback of my past. "Hey! What province?" "Sichuan" "Oh yeah? I've got Hunan in the stroller here." ....... and the conversation began ...........

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wonderful icebreaker! I'm stealing that one for sure!