Saturday, November 25, 2006

Creative Things to Do While In the Waiting Room - Go Hear "The Stradavarius Voice"

Shortly after we moved into our home in 1984, I was blessed with a case of insomnia (just like right now) and began surfing the channels. I came upon the annual Jerry Lewis Telethon and heard the most remarkable singing I'd ever heard. This gorgeous woman, with a voice like light in crystal, was singing an incredible jazz arrangement of "Tiptoe Trough the Tulips" and my ears couldn't believe themselves. The next morning I told Be about my discovery - "....and do you know who she was? I'll give you a hint .... (singing) ..... there's got to be a morning after, if we can hold on through the night ...... Maureen McGovern! The gal who sang the Poseidon Adventure song!"

At the time, I was singing with an acapella group at Disney, so I was way into exploring new singers amd expanding my CD collection with fine music.

This past Friday, we had the opportunity to hear this outstanding talent accompanied by piano, bass, drums and pops orchestra . We sat transfixed as she worked through songs from "The American Songbook" by Gershwin, Rogers, Hart, Hammerstein & Arlen, her multi-octave range in amazing form. At one point, she began scatting with one of the sax players, singing at lightening speed, duplicating and harmonizing, making my jaw drop into my lap. I listened closely, and she hit every note pitch perfect. I even got verclempt several times during the 90 minute set - especially as she interpreted "Over the Rainbow". Miss McGovern began the song on mic, stood up from her stool, held the mic behind her back, walked to the front of the stage and filled the auditorium with pure music - acapella! No sound reinforcement! The woman was in control no doubt!

We were rehearsing the music for our church's christmas cantata on the way home (a 2 1/2 hour drive from Palm Beach to Orlando) and had to laugh at ourselves as we sounded like geese in comparison. We will hear Maureen McGovern again next month, but alas, she won't be singing - she is the narrator for 3 nights at the "Christmas Candlelight Processional" at Disney's EPCOT Center. We'll reflect back on last Friday's concert and imagine her singing the script .....Well, I've depleted all of my superlatives ........ I'm outtahere ......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Don and Be!

Katie and I and the rest of Timber Creek HS and "Inter-Generational Choir" (students plus Old Folks) will be singing the middle and late Candlelight Processional shows on Wednesday, Dec 13 with Ms. McGovern.

So if you want to hear her AND the Lees, that would be your night . . .

Love you guys,

Dan

Don and Be said...

Dan Buddy,
If I wasn't going to be at the Tony Bennett concert in Melbourne ... I'd be there. We have the dinner/show package for Dec 14 with the Fishers. It's a Christmas holiday tradition with them. It would be a thrill to see you & Katie in the Candlelight Processional, though - how 'bout Toxic Audio on Dec 29th at Helen Stairs in Sanford? I'm ordering tickets on Monday.
We love the Lees. Thanks for keeping in touch.
Donno

glo said...

So many concerts ....so little time. Ansd I will be packing for AZ and sharing Elia's first Chruistmas at home with her parents who have the christmas eve special for their church.