Saturday, February 17, 2007

I Lift Up My Eyes












I found this post in my 'drafts' folder while doing some blog cleaning. This post was to have been put on the blog in November, then I saved it as a draft because I thought it was kind of cheesy ...... so, find yourself some crackers & a glass of wine ..... here goes .....


So, what is it about the mountains that keeps beckoning me? (Cue the audio byte from "The Sound of Music") Be and I have climbed some mountains in some beautiful places - Half Dome in Yosemite (in the first picture, that's Half Dome in the distance - pic was taken the day after our hike to the top - 12 hours), day hikes in the Great Smoky Mountains and even a volcano on the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands. As flatlanders from Central Florida, you would think we would take up scuba, surfing or water skiing. Are we acknowledging the Source of our help? Could it be that the mountains bring us closer to the heavens? Psalm 121 ....I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from?My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
..... cut to November, 2006 ......
Don has just had foot surgery and Be is pushing him around Downtown Disney in a wheelchair at The Festival of the Masters, the annual art show @ Lake Buena Vista. Breaththaking artwork plus everything that could possibly be out of my price range is available here including pieces that would make better boat anchors than art (sorry to art afficianados and self expression types - hey, I'm just exercising my self expression). After a crazy little pantomime involving the wheelchair with the girl dressed in the bird costume from Cirque du Soleil's "La Nouba" (what do you say to such a creature when they don't talk back?), I looked up to the booth in front of me to see the most beautiful photos to cross my path that day. The photographer had captured the essence of the mountains of his region of China and as I viewed his work (similar to the last 2 pics), I felt the connection to my future daughter, Joanna, and could almost visualize her face. It was only for a brief moment and even though she may not have even been born at the time, I felt her presence. Next time we take a hike, perhaps we will climb to a mountaintop in China ...... maybe just before we meet her face to face.

http://www.yosemitevacation.com/hike.halfdome.htm

http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/africa/tenerife.html

http://www.wdwinfo.com/downtown/FestivalMasters/festival_masters.htm

No comments: